Climbing Mount Evans
About my trip
My buddy and I began our journey at 3 in the morning in order to summit around noon to miss the summit storms. There are many places you can start this hike, we decided to start at the very bottom next to Chicago lake. Then hike up the west ridge to pick up Summit Lake and then go up the north face steep route to summit. The pictures attached are in order from the bottom of the trail to the summit. You can see throughout the pictures the climate changes and the different environments. We traveled through three types of environments; the ancient trees, the forest and the treeless peak above the timberline. We also started the journey at with shorts and a t-shirt, went through a snow storm in the middle of the summer, and mild chill at the summit and clear skies. Mount Evans hike is through pretty country, it’s challenging if you want it to be and in general a great way to spend a summer day in the great state of Colorado. But one thing to keep in mind if you don’t want to hike but enjoy Mount Evans, it does have one of the highest roads in the United States that takes you to the summit, but what’s the fun in that.
My top tip for this trip
1) Don't do this alone, definitely go with a buddy.
2) Bring layers of clothes, a change of socks, the weather will change on you.
2) Bring a lunch, snacks, dinner, and lots of water. Prepare to be out there longer than you expect because it is Colorado, and possible to be stranded out there.
4) Be will prepared in terms of the route and map study. Of course bring a map, maybe two in case you lose one.
5) Have fun; don't push your physical limits. This will take all day, make sure you are physically prepared.
6) Have fun, you are going to see some amazing things that most people will never see.